To Team Or Not To Team
In the AICE Media Studies class we have an option to either work alone on our project or work with other people. the decision for me is an easy one to make. I have many reasons on why I am making this decision as well. I will be working alone on this portfolio project because I feel like it will be more successful and complete and the end when it is due and I will explain why.
For one, working alone on a portfolio project would be better for me because I am an online remote learner. This means that getting into communication with another person would be more difficult than sitting in the actual brick and mortar class. I know that social media makes this easy but I just think that it would be difficult to get on a call with multiple people and actually have them all cooperate and help. Also not being able to interact with the person is also a problem I am dealing with in this situation. This just leads me to believe that working alone is a better option. Another reason I am working alone is because I don't want to have to depend on someone to get the project done. I want to make sure that all parts are done and no one doesn't do their part. Basically what I'm trying to say is that I don't want someone telling me they didn't do their portion of the assignment at the last minute and if I work alone that won't happen. The last reason I want to work alone is because decision making will be easier and I won't have to take a while to decide on something. Since there is no one else to talk to about it, it should be quick. I also don't know if other people are wanting to be on a team as well. For the social media experience I looked at Harlow's page and she looks like a very happy and joyful person. None of her posts were sad or gloomy just all happy. I don't know what this says about her ability to work in a team but i'm pretty sure she is more of a team person because of her personality. From the article "The Effect of Personality Type on Team Performance" it states that "three characteristics of productive teams that are strongly related to individual differences seem to dominate: effective leadership, intra-team communication, and group cohesion". Another quote from the text I like is "Ineffective leadership will sabotage team productivity". These two quotes go with my idea because if leadership is an important part of the system for it to work. This is a good reason because if there isn't enough good leadership the whole thing will crash. Another quote is like is "A cohesive team will demonstrate a spirit of togetherness and support for one another that helps team members quickly resolve conflicts without residual hard feelings". This quote also helps my case because I don't really know why of the people in the class and without good cohesion this could be a fail. Overall this experience could be bad without any of those.
Secondly, me working alone would also make more sense based on my experiences from the Lost at Sea activity. The things that I put on my chart are mostly for one person to survive, not two. I don't know why but I think that I am an independent person and that activity proves it as well. In the article "Team Building and group Dynamics" it talks about how building a team requires everyone to undertones the group dynamic and how unique they are and getting to know each other a little better might help that. Overall, me working alone would just have a better outcome on the entire project and would make the situation a lot easier for me and everyone else. Until I get to know the others this is the decision I am making and hope it leads me to an effective outcome.

Becker, E. (2015, April). Team building and group dynamics: creating and fostering a culture of teamwork requires trust, collaboration, and accountability. TD Magazine, 69(4), 100+. https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A409549924/AONE?u=fl_sarhs&sid=AONE&xid=e1395593
Bradley, J. H., & Hebert, F. J. (1997, May-June). The effect of personality type on team performance. Journal of Management Development, 16(5-6), 337+. https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A19815243/AONE?u=fl_sarhs&sid=AONE&xid=18e5e4ed
Comments
Post a Comment